The following organisations are seeking an Honorary Treasurer:
The Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES)
Closing Date: 27 May 2019 Based: Shoreditch, London
The IES is a membership organisation representing the full spectrum of environmental disciplines, from fields as diverse as air quality, land condition, marine science and education – wherever you find environmental work underpinned by science. We lead the debate, dissemination and stewardship of environmental science and sustainability, and promote an evidence-based approach to decision and policy making, to stand up for science, scientists and the natural world.
We are looking for a Treasurer who has:
- Experience of preparing financial or management accounts as an accountant (financial or management) or through acting as a treasurer at board level
- Understanding of the role of the Trustee and ability to add value to the charity through expertise, counsel and sound judgement
- An interest in the environment and a commitment to IES’s charitable Object.
Download the full Job description (pdf)
Closing Date: 31 May 2019 Based: London, but work is home based
Msizi Africa feeds over 160 children in Lesotho who have either been orphaned as a result of AIDS or who are vulnerable for some other reason.
Instead of worrying about when they might eat next, our food and food related programmes safeguard their health and enable them to attend school.
We’re a tiny charity - just 7 volunteer trustees who run the charity in addition to our ‘day jobs’. This means that, for every £100 we raise, we’re able to send £97 to our feeding programmes in Lesotho.
Download the full Job description (pdf)
Closing Date: 23 May 2019 Based: Heywood, Greater Manchester
Cartwheel Arts is one of the leading participatory arts companies in the North West. The charity has an impressive track record in devising and delivering vivid, highly acclaimed and successful projects which bring communities together, break down barriers, and build capacity, promoting a sense of ownership and pride.
Whether you’re an experienced Trustee or wanting to take your first step at Board level, we want to hear from you! We are looking for a Treasurer who has:
- Experience or knowledge of accounting or book-keeping
- Good numeracy skills
- The ability to interpret and present information clearly
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort over a minimum commitment of 3 years
- Previous experience of the third / culture sector would be ideal
As a Trustee, you will have:
- Induction, training and reimbursable expenses
- Opportunities to make strategic decisions and develop new skills
- Opportunities to network with senior professionals
- Influence to shape innovative projects
- The chance to improve health and wellbeing of people and communities
The expected time commitment is five Trustee meetings per year, held in Heywood, Greater Manchester from 6-8pm, one full strategy day and some ad-hoc committee work.
Closing Date: 25 May 2019 Based: Tunbridge Wells
DAVSS is a small well-respected local charity that provides vital support services for anyone (men as well as women) in West Kent experiencing domestic abuse. DAVSS aims to break the cycle of abuse and enable survivors to take control of their lives again and improve life opportunities for them and their children who are often traumatised by the abuse they have experienced. Our volunteers provide client centred face-to-face tailored support at convenient and safe venues in towns and rural areas, and run a helpline from our independent Offices in the Tunbridge Wells Police Station.
The Treasurer/Company Secretary provides financial direction, regular financial reports, and advice on governance to the Board. Preparation of our annual report & accounts, appointment and liaison with external auditors, and managing financial risk is part of this role. It also involves working closely with our CEO overseeing financial matters. You will share our passion for providing high quality services; and understand governance and compliance requirements of Trusteeship and the Treasurer/Company Secretary role. A good communicator, you enjoy working with others. You have a financial qualification and at least 5 years experience in a senior financial role.
Download the full Job description
Contact Kristen Paterson, DAVSS Chair Email email@example.com or phone 07971 090 224
Self Management UK
Posted: 3 May 2019 Based: London and Warrington, Trustee Board meetings in London
Self Management UK supports people experiencing one or more long-term health condition and is one of the leading providers of self-management structured education support nationally. We have provided self-management support to more than 150,000 people, helping to remove the barriers and challenges having a long-term condition can present.
We would particularly welcome applications from those with backgrounds in: fundraising, commissioning, campaigning, a qualified member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification (ACA/CIMA). Your time commitment will include five Board meetings annually, with involvement in the Audit committee. An initial term of three years to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. This is a voluntary position, although travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Monitoring the financial management of the charity and reporting to the board of trustees on its state of financial health, in line with best practice, and in compliance with the governing document and legal requirements
- Leading on the board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements
- Leading on the development and implementation of reserves, cost‐management and financial and investment policies
Contact Ian Silver, Chief Executive Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07500 039713
Citizens Advice East Hampshire
Posted: 3 May 2019 Based: East Hampshire
Citizens Advice East Hampshire Citizens Advice East Hampshire is a small but dynamic charity that provides free advice and information to help local people resolve their problems, including benefits, debt, employment, housing and family issues. We aim to improve the policies and practices that affect people's’ lives. We also offer the new Help to Claim service supporting claimants of Universal Credit, provide Healthwatch health and social care advice as well as a range of specialist advice including housing, debt and employment. We help around 5,500 clients with nearly 12,000 issues every year. Citizens Advice East Hampshire is a member of the national Citizens Advice charity which means we have access to the services, resources and support provided by national Citizens Advice but as an independent charity, we’re responsible for running our own affairs within agreed standards. We have 5 staff (full time equivalent) and 70 volunteers, a budget of £285,000 and have 3 main locations in the towns of Petersfield, Bordon and Alton, with a number of outreaches across the district of East Hampshire.
We are looking for a new Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees to help guide and advise us on the financial health of this organisation. Responsibilities include presentation of the management accounts at board meetings, helping to prepare the annual budget and advising on the corrective action that may be required when difficulties arise. (The treasurer is not a book-keeper or accountant but must have a good understanding of financial control and collective board responsibility).
You’ll need to:
- Be available to attend at least four evening meetings each year of our Trustee Board, plus two further evening meetings a year for the Finance sub-committee, plus our Trustee Away Day and other strategy events as needed. This is a total of at least 6 hours per month.
- Be able to spend time in between meetings reviewing and acting on financial information and data
- Be available to occasionally meet with the Chief Officer and other finance staff of the charity at a mutually convenient time
- Have a willingness to work as a team, and actively participate in discussions that relate to the running of the organisation
You will have financial qualifications and/or experience of financial management and reporting and be keen to support the delivery of high quality advice services to help the community.
Contact Debbie Essex, Finance and Resources Manager Email email@example.com