The following organisations are seeking an Honorary Treasurer:
Public Service Broadcasting Trust (Fixers)
Added: 20 April 2017
Fixers exists to inform and educate people on issues and voices that are not normally heard or valued:
- Our approach is to go looking for marginalised and vulnerable young people.
- We recognise young people as experts in their own lived experience and help them narrate their own authentic stories.
- We create a bigger footprint by opening up these stories to the general public across a web of channels – including face to face, social media, local and national media, including regular spots on ITV news, and other platforms - confronting them with unsought and unexpected human stories.
We are looking for a Treasurer/Trustee to:
- Monitor the financial standing of the charity and reports to the Board regarding cash-flow forecasting, income streams, out-going expenses and the overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources.
- Oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process and report financial health to the board of trustees at regular intervals.
- Ensures that annual accounts are submitted to all relevant regulators in a timely fashion.
- Liaising with external auditors on financial issues and ensuring that the organsiation’s finances are responsibly managed/invested for the betterment of the organisation’s work and for the beneficiaries it serves.
Please see the Treasurer Role Description for more information or contact:
To apply send a CV and covering letter to:
Nathan Adams (email@example.com)
Fixers' website: Fixers
Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP)
Added: 19 April 2017
Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) Britain is a national charity and company limited by guarantee. We are part of an international organisation, and have been operational in the UK since 1989. Our mission is to support people, particularly those in hardship, to learn how to handle conflict, resist violence and build stronger relationships.
Working through a network of skilled volunteers based across the country, AVP Britain runs a programme of workshops for anyone who wants to find ways of resolving conflict without resorting to violence. We work in the community and also in prisons.
We have an office in London (Charles Square, LondonN1), but our Trustees and volunteers are based all around the country.
AVP Britain Trustees are currently reviewing and revising our national strategy, including plans for finance and fundraising in order to ensure the short- and longer-term sustainability of the organisation. We are looking for a treasurer who can lead on our national finance and fundraising strategy and work with our Finance Administrator to oversee our day-to-day finances and advise the Board on budgeting and financial performance, as well as producing our annual accounts.
We are looking for:
- A proven track record in budgeting and financial reporting including experience of overseeing annual accounts. Experience of charity accounting would be an asset.
- A commitment to the aims and values of the organisation. As a national charity promoting positive non-violent communication based on respect for self and others, we aim to ensure that these values are embedded in our dealings with one another at all levels throughout the organisation.
- An ability to attend 4 Trustees’ meetings a year, and to undertake the project management of the finance and fundraising plan, in conjunction with the Board of Trustees and our Finance Administrator.
Please see the Treasurer Ad for more information.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Jane Harries (Chair of Trustees)
AVP Britain's website: AVP Britain
The Retreat Association
Added: 13 April 2017
The Retreat Association is a Christian-based organisation which seeks to enable people to explore and deepen their spiritual journey through retreats and reflective activities. No other national organisation is currently fulfilling our role in offering this kind of support to all those who are looking for ways of finding meaning in their lives. We are rooted in our Christian faith, which gives inspiration to what we do as we strive to be open and inclusive, offering advice to whoever approaches us, whatever their background or belief. Our key activities include advice, resources, training and events.
This role is an opportunity to make a difference in a small but dynamic charity.
We are seeking to appoint a treasurer to join our board of trustees and perform the following duties:
Overall preparation of budgets / management figures and advising on financial matters. This includes:
- Preparing annual accounts and annual report, together with necessary working papers prior to independent examination.
- Keeping the payroll using HMRC software system. Processing monthly payments to staff and HMRC, preparing payslips and pay relating to new staff appointments.
- Setting up payments by direct debit and online and general correspondence with the charity bank account.
- Preparation of figures for quarterly VAT return and processing through HMRC system; preparing figures for gift-aid claims twice a year.
Although most of the duties can be undertaken at home, the role also involves monthly visits to the charity offices in Saunderton to update accounts, respond to queries, manage data protection.
The board of trustees meets four times a year in London. The Treasurer would also normally join the operations committee which also meets four times a year in London or Birmingham. Trustees usually serve for a three-year term although we also welcome those offering their skills to a specific project for one or two years.
At least 3 years experience in accounts and/or financial management, including previous experience as a charity trustee.
- Sympathetic to the work of the RA and able to share the vision of offering support to those looking for stillness and silence in their lives.
- Able to commit time to the Retreat Association both to attend meetings and to take issues forward between meetings.
- Able to work collaboratively with the Retreat Association’s Director and trustees
- Able to communicate effectively in writing and in person.
Contact Alison MacTier for further information:
T: 01494 569 056
The Retreat Association's website: The Retreat Association
Flexicare (Oxford and Abingdon)
Added: 28 March 2017
Established 32 years ago, Flexicare (Oxford and Abingdon) provides a babysitting service for families with a severely disabled child or children. We provide this service with 3 part time members of staff and trained volunteers. We are currently in the process of converting to a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO). We are regulated by the Care Quality Commission and receive a small County Council grant. The remainder of our funding comes from supporters, donations and a few annual fundraising events.
Flexicare operates within 8-10 miles of Oxford plus Wantage and Grove.
Formally the job is as described below, however the main requirement is for someone to work with the Manager and ensure that Flexicare is operating financially as it should be. As a small charity with our main cost being staff salaries, the role is not onerous and is unlikely to require more than a few hours most months.
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal and constitutional within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits with the assistance of the Manager and Auditor.
- Liaise with the Manager and other Trustees to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Regularly report the financial position at quarterly Trustee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place,
- Lead on liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
- Working with the Manager to undertake bookkeeping duties. Monthly spreadsheets are produced on bills paid, donations received and pay roll including salaries, tax and pensions by the Manager. The Treasurer will keep the ledgers up-to-date and retain all necessary documents for audit.
- To control the bank account: adding users, acting as authoriser for payments etc, receive the statements and with the manager liaise with the bank.
For enquiries about the role and to apply contact:
T: 01865 321 881
M: 07342 041 388
Flexicare's website: Flexicare
Added: 23 March 2017
Plant Heritage is the world’s leading cultivated plant conservation charity, bringing together the talents of botanists, horticulturalists and conservationists and the dedication of keen amateur and professional gardeners.
Through a number of conservation projects, including the National Plant Collections and Threatened Plants Project, we are helping to safeguard our unique garden flora across Britain and Ireland.
We are at Loseley Park, near Guildford in Surrey.
The charity is looking for an experienced financial professional who has obtained an accounting qualification (e.g. ACA, ACMA, ACCA) and can contribute to the effective direction of a national charity with a central office and many local groups throughout the country. Attendance is required at meetings, mainly in London. No bookkeeping or related tasks are undertaken by the Treasurer. Charity experience would be useful but not a prerequisite.
Please see the Treasurer Role Advert for more information.
For enquiries about the role and to apply contact:
T: 01483 447540
Plant Heritage's website: Plant Heritage